ON THIS DAY, 2002...
On 29th October 2002, Rockstar Games released Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Vice City is an action-adventure video game released for various platforms, including PlayStation 2, Xbox, and Microsoft Windows. The game is part of the popular "Grand Theft Auto" (GTA) series and is the fourth main instalment.
Set in a fictional open-world version of Miami in the 1980s, Vice City follows the story of Tommy Vercetti, a former criminal who is released from prison and becomes embroiled in the criminal underworld of Vice City. The game features an open-world environment that players can explore freely, combining on-foot and vehicle-based gameplay.
Key features of the game include:
1. Open World: "Vice City" offers a detailed and immersive open-world environment, featuring a variety of districts, landmarks, and vehicles inspired by the 1980s Miami setting.
2. Storyline: The game has a compelling narrative with well-developed characters, and players progress through a series of missions while also engaging in side activities.
Vehicles: Players can steal a wide range of vehicles, including cars, motorcycles, boats, and helicopters, to traverse the city and complete missions.
3. Radio Stations: The game is renowned for its extensive selection of in-game radio stations, each with its own unique music and humorous advertisements, reflecting the 1980s era.
4. Combat and Weapons: Players can engage in combat with firearms, melee weapons, and various tools, adding an element of action to the gameplay.
5. Side Activities: In addition to the main story, players can engage in various side activities, such as buying properties, participating in street races, and more.
Vice City was praised for its nostalgic 1980s setting, memorable characters, and engaging gameplay. It received critical acclaim and commercial success upon release, making it one of the most iconic entries in the GTA series. It was later re-released for various platforms and is still fondly remembered by fans of the series for its unique atmosphere and gameplay.